Untitled

Thread: JK with 5:13's or 5:38's

Share/Bookmark
    Post Thanks / Like

Default JK with 5:13's or 5:38's

Anyone in town have a JK with 5:13's or 5:38's getting ready to re-gear the JK and would like to take a ride if possible.

Joe 505-933-5520

Post Thanks / Like

Joe, I'm nowhere near you but what's your set up on your JK? Normally you don't hear many folks running 5.38's unless they're running 40's... On my '09 2dr it was a 6 speed manual with 35's, 2.5" lift and running 4.88's which for the 6 speed was a bit too much to get a stock ride out of it. Probably should have been running 37's instead to go with the gear set.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been driving my JKU Rubicon with the stock 4:10's on 37's it hasn't been too bad, but I am moving up to 40's on Friday. I just don't want to re-gear it again if I am not happy with the 5:13's. Oh and my JK is an Auto.

Post Thanks / Like

5.38's should give you a better ride than the 5.13's with the 40's... For whatever reason the auto does not do as well as the manual in the pre-2012's when it comes to re-gearing and larger tires, it's weird to say the least.

Post Thanks / Like

my neighbor is running 42's on his 4 door JK, i'll ask him what gears he is running

Post Thanks / Like

I'm running 5.38's with 37's and I think even then it could afford some more gearing. 3.8L sucks. And I have an Auto. Yes go with 5.38's to just help your life driving around town and having the torque to stay in gear up a hill. Only downfall I've heard is an old wives tale on the JK sites of the pinion being too small with the 5.38 and gear slipping is more likely in stomping conditions going up ledges for instance and whipping out a set of gears. Seen one video of this with 40s on youtube. But it is hard to really know what is to blame, gears go all the time and it took this guy 3 years of hardcore before it went.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidtacoma View Post
    my neighbor is running 42's on his 4 door JK, i'll ask him what gears he is running
    09 Jeep Minivan - Red Rubicon, 37's, 4" lift....
    Wife: 99 TJ 3", 32's...

Had: 99 TJ, 35's, 5" lift...
    Jeep Family All the Way